Monday, December 29, 2008

Cast Day!!!!

Kylie has a pretty new pink accessory. :) Yes....she got her PINK cast! And boy is it pink. We love it. The Orthopedic they referred us to has been closed since this happened, so we didn't know until today if we were going to get in until today or tomorrow. But Mama Bear was going to do what she could to get her baby in today. :) I called right before they opened and their computers were down. So I had Check Spellingto call back in an hour. It was quite a long hour, but finally....I called and we got in. I was relieved but so nervous. (Although I've had a nervous pit in my stomach through this whole experience so whatever.) Brian took the day off today so we could all be there. I just have to say that Kylie did AMAZING!!!! I was so proud of her and impressed with her! She actually did NOT want the splint to come off. The doc told us that kids actually get upset when you take them (and the cast) off because the last time they remember not having it on...their arm hurt. I thought that was interesting. Anyway: she was a bit upset when we (actually I got to take it off) took it off but she was so brave. The Doc looked at the x-rays and actually thinks it might just be fractured and not broken. But she's in a cast anyway, and we go back in a week to get it x-rayed again with the cast on. She should be in it for about 4 weeks. I was SO NERVOUS about how she was going to react. I have been talking to her about it so she would know what to expect. And I just have to say...she did AMAZING!!!!!! She really did. She only whimpered a few times, and never even got a tear. Mommy got to sit right by her and even help a little with putting the cast on. Best news....the cast is WATERPROOF!!!! You can totally get it wet and everything. (I have my doubts and kinda don't believe it. She might still have baths with plastic bags over her arm. :) But they say she can get it totally wet, soak it, whatever. Just rinse it so there isn't soapy water in it.) I thought that was a cool feature. Anyway: I just have to say that my baby girl has adjusted SO WELL to all of this. I have learned a lot from her through this whole experience. She is so brave and strong and I'm so proud of her. Here are a few pics....

I was trying to get a pic of the cast and told her to show me her cast. This is what she did. :) She's too funny.

Standing by her kitchen with her new accessory. (And by the way...she doesn't have to wear the sling thing anymore. But I think it's a comfort thing for her because she wants to wear it. So I keep adjusting it because it always shifts behind her. She's just too funny!)


So every time I ask Kylie to smile she gives me this crooked smile and brings her finger up. I think it's precious.

I almost had a decent picture of her and her cast and then she moved right as I was taking it. So I kinda cut off part of her face, but of course it's still a cute pic. :)
And how sweet is my Aunt Karen?! (Well, it's Brian's aunt, but we're much too close for me to call her aunt-in-law! :) ) Our doorbell rang today, and THIS is what was delivered to us (well, Kylie) from her....

A yummy cookie bouquet!!!

Here's a bit of a close-up.

And here is Brian enjoying a cookie with some milk and some light reading. :)



Kylie preferred to eat all the frosting off the cookie first and then gobble up the cookie. I know I might have said this a time or two, but she is too funny!

All in all, things went really well today. I'm so glad the cast is on and hopefully the healing part will be quick. The doc did say that if it's a fracture sometimes they can "slip" or something like that. Then that would mean surgery to pin it together. So we are praying that won't happen...of course. Then another thing I'm worried about is she has eczema. It's not bad if we keep some cortisone on it when it starts to show up. But with it in the cast....I'm really worried that it will flare up. So we'll be praying for that not to happen as well. All things considered though....things are much better now that the cast is on and healing can really begin! Sorry for all these details. But hey! I want this stuff recorded. :)

5 comments:

♥ Kristy Woods ♥ said...

What a brave gorgeous girl, and how cool is that pink cast!!! so cute! LOve the new background!

Brandi said...

Sorry your little girl broke her arm! Poor thing. Kenzie broke her leg last year just before Halloween and had to wear a cast clear up her thigh. The color? Bright pink!!! Thank goodness it was waterproof or bathtime would be a pain. Anyway, I hope her arm heals perfectly.

Have a Happy New Year!

bribets said...

Can we be the first to sign it tomorrow night? Ha Ha! I'm proud of Kylie for being so brave!

amber said...

Poor Kylie, she doesn't seem to be letting it faze her though. I'm impressed. It sounds like mom is having a harder time than the patient. :) Love ya

Emily said...

Sweet Kylie! Cute cookies!!! I want some...yumm. Frosted sugar cookies are the BEST!