Saturday, December 27, 2008

A SO NOT VERY MERRY Christmas!!!!

This hurts my heart as I write this....but this is how our Christmas went from great to the worst in just a second. We had finished with Christmas morning, had breakfast, finished Kylie's presents, played for a long time with new toys, and just had some great family time. Now it was lunch time and then soon to follow nap time for Kylie. Kylie was eating some peaches up at our kitchen island, Brian was putting dishes in the dishwasher, and I was in the family room. I heard a fall in the kitchen and ran right out in there. Kylie had fallen off the stool onto the tile floor below. I took her from Brian so I could cuddle her and calm her down because of course she was crying. She landed on her arm, and was holding her arm saying "Hurt. hurt." I knew something was wrong right away because she wasn't calming down at all. She would try to use her arm to play with a new toy or something and as she would reach out to get something her hand would shake and she wouldn't move it very far before she pulled it back saying "hurt, hurt." After about 15 mins we decided we should get her checked out at the ER. So Brian and I headed out. We had a wait in the ER room....of course....and during that time she started using her arm and moving it a bit. So we thought maybe it was just a fracture or something because she was playing and having fun. We finally made it back into the room and then of course waited again FOREVER! They finally came in to take x-rays and we really didn't think it would be that bad. Well....the doc comes back and tells us my baby's arm was BROKEN!!!!! My 2-year old broke her arm. It was just a small break (I could barely see it in the x-ray) but it was BROKEN!!!! My heart broke right along with it. So they set it in a splint and then we will go in on Monday or Tuesday to get a cast. Kylie was SO BRAVE and SO GOOD!!!! It was only when strangers (the nurses, docs, etc.) came near her that she cried. :) She is such a big girl.

I told her if she could be a strong girl that I would get her whatever treat she wanted when we were done. Well, she wanted french fries. Ummmmm.....well.....everything is closed on Christmas day. Hmmmmmmm. We were communicating with my parents and brothers that was at my house during this whole thing. So Grandpa jumps in the car and goes driving all around to try to find anything open. NOTHING was. So plan B. Matt finds some potatoes at our house and he MAKES HER SOME FRIES! How sweet! So this is her enjoying the yummy treat her Uncle Matty made her. Look at her sling. Still makes me weep!

Here she is resting her arm, eating her fave cereal....Fruit Loops, and watching her show. She only stayed here a few mins, but hey....I get her arm elevated when I can. :)

This has been a big adjustment for all of us. Kylie has adjusted the best....I have to say. :) Her mommy on the other hand.....not doing so well. It breaks my heart to see her little arm in the sling. She's been SUCH a trooper through all of it. I guess things like this really open up your eyes and make you see just HOW MUCH LOVE you can have in your heart for such a little girl. Any parents out there that have gone through this....how do you deal?! It's SO SAD and SO HARD to see your child go through something like this!!!! I wish I could take her place. Anyway: wanted to let you know how our Christmas was! Hope yours was better!!!

9 comments:

bribets said...

POOR KYLIE!!! We love her and hope she feels better!

Mandy said...

Ya it sucks watching your child suffer, believe me I have had enough to last a lifetime!! Also add cramping and contractions on top of that and it has not made for a fun week for me either. Hopefully both Kylie and I will survive--but most of all the mommy!!!

Megan said...

Oh man, I am sorry! I hope she starts feeling better, and that you do too. I can't even imagine going through that, or having to watch my babies. I'm sorry that part of your Christmas was no fun.

Jill said...

Oh Ash, that sucks. I am so sorry. Sounds like you guys are adjusting well though, that is great. Hang in there!! I'm glad it wasn't anything worse. I once fell down the stairs with Tanner and landed on him and he limped for days. It was right after the Rylan thing so we were NOT about to take Tanner to the doctors. I didn't think he broke his leg, but he would limp or crawl on his knees (he was 2) and it broke my heart. He got better and all was well though!!
Sounds like you had a fabulous Christmas besides that. Can't wait to see you next week!!

Michelle said...

Poor Kylie!! Give her a hug from Charlie!!

Emily said...

OH! SO sad!!! SOrry little Kylie!!! I bet you freaked out!!! Man! That stinks! You will always remember that one to tell her about her Christmas of 2008!

Heather said...

Not a very fun Christmas! I know how hard it is to see them in pain. You wish you could take it away from them. I just bawled the entire time Eric was in the ER after the dog almost ripped off his cheek. Kylie really does look adjusted in those pics just eating cereal and watching her shows. :)

Lindsay said...

Awww! Poor little Kylie! That was SO SWEET of Matty to make her french fries! Talk about going above and beyond! What a great Uncle he is and what a great mama you are!!!

lindsey s. said...

So sad! I know how you feel... carter, 7 months old... creed slips on the ice and my baby gets a skull fracture... the worst was all the e.r. people coming in to ask me questions to make sure i wasn't abusing my child... so sad. guess what? he is a healthy 5 year old and doesn't remember a thing... and i'm sure kylie will hardly remember it... plus she might get a pink cast!